Sunday 9 November 2014

Selfish and unselfish sewing

So I've planned this selfish dress for a bit now, and here is the result:

Floralex Dress
The reason behind the making of an amazing dress was that I needed a new dress that fitted me perfectly (relative to the other dresses I have from buying) that was more than an everyday wear. I needed it to be snug at the bodice and a big skirt so I could eat a lot without it showing. The dress was going to be used at the annually party for the shopping center that I work at. All the stores are invited for an evening of dancing, entertainment and a lot of good food (hence the poofy skirt). The choice landed on  another pattern hack from By Hand London. This is actually a Floralex Dress. A combination of Elisalex dress' bodice and Flora dress' high-low skirt. But wait there's more! A twist!

Floralex Dress

In the back! Yes! I altered it myself, it was difficult, but I managed it quite well I thought. A bit sexy backless dress. I loved that my thinking made it through and it wasn't a disaster. I wanted to put a bow on the cross but didn't have the time, but it worked without as well. The fabric seem a bit of a dark grey or something in the picture but actually it's a lovely dark purple with a bit of glitter in it, enough for partying:

I needed a dress, so why not make one entering the By Hand London PatternHackathon competition? The conditions were that the clothing needed to have at least one piece from their pattern collection. I don't now if my Elisalex bodice counts as one pattern piece but my flora skirt must count so I'm entering it. Wish me luck!

I like multitasking (or I don't know how to stop), so when I was sewing my Floralex Dress for the patternhackethon over at By Hand London I also started sewing the Jedediah Pants from Thread Theory for my man as well.


This is just a muslin but he liked it and he uses it, and that's the whole purpose, right? The pattern was easy to understand, and very good instructions and the sewalong on their page helped a lot. It fitted him well waist- and lengthwise.

 

I'm going to make more of those pant's so easy and comfortable as he says. Recommending that one!



No comments:

Post a Comment